Total Pageviews

Monday 14 November 2011

LD Seats




The original black seat covers have seen better days.I think a nice Tan colour will pop with the Beige paintwork. Any thing has to be better than original grimy black ones.

Strip off the old covers and clean up the steel work send out for Powder coat.



It has to be Black Gloss for the frames. As I was unable to buy a spring set for the LD seats I had to trawl the tinter web and found a very helpful site The Lambretta Club of Great Britain.On the forum a clever man described making a set of springs from a stainless steel drain unblocker. (Left)


Well lets give it a go. when cutting the the lengths l would measure the gap and take away 10mm - 12mm this would give a bit of tension after the seat cover was in place.



After cutting the drain unblocker in to suitable lengths and with the help of a good pair of pliers, I fashioned a hook at each end.



Start adding the home made springs one by one. in the end i needed two complete stets of drain unblock er.







This works a treat even if I say so myself.




















http://www.shermonkel.com/

1 comment:

  1. Nice job. I am rebuilding (very slowly) a 1956 LDB (www.my-ld150.blogspot.com) and would like to replace the seat springs. This looks like a good solution. I had considered having lengths of spring made to my spec until I saw the price. I even considered buying a dual seat replacement set and discarding the bits I didn't want.
    You didn't say how may drain clearing springs you needed, just out of interest.

    ReplyDelete